Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The One with the 6-Year-Olds

So I'm a first grade teacher.

And I spend my days with 6- and 7-year-olds.

And some days they make me want to pull my hair out.

But most days, they are great and I love my job.

And they say and do the funniest things sometimes.

Like the time Hubs sent my flowers at school for Valentine's Day and one little boy walked by and mumbled under his breath, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Or the time the little girl read some stories from the Bible as her reading homework and listed the author as "God" on her reading log.

It seems like forever ago, but I told my students about the baby right before Thanksgiving.  We had a talk about the fact that my belly was going to get bigger and that eventually I would be leaving for the rest of the year to stay home with the baby after he/she arrived.  I heard stories about their moms, aunts, friends, and neighbors having babies.  I heard about their siblings at home who never stop crying and how I was going to need a lot of help to take care of this baby because it's going to be a lot of work.

But one little girl definitely wins the prize for the most adorable (and smartest) comment during this conversation.  It went something like this...

Me: I may need to sit down more than usual and may be tired as the baby gets bigger, but I'm still me and I'm still your teacher so don't worry that things are going to be super different.

6-year-old: Well, it's a good thing you have that table (pointing to kidney shaped table) in the room then.

Me: Yeah, you're right.  I will be able to sit down there if I get tired or need a break.

6-year-old: No, that's not why it's good that you have it.  I think it's a good table for you because it has that space where you sit for your belly when it gets all huge and big.

Think the manufacturers of this table should start advertising this as the pregnancy table?

I was biting my lip to keep from laughing out loud because she was so serious about the usefulness of the table.

Out of the mouths of first graders!

3 comments: