Monday, June 3, 2013

The One with the First Month Favorites

Hard to believe it, but our little man is almost one month old.

::cue Mommy tears about growing up too fast::

The last month has been a whirlwind of sleep deprivation, visitors, bottle making, snuggles, and many minutes of just sitting and staring at our little miracle.

I thought it may be helpful to put together a list of things that we have found particularly useful over the last four weeks.  These are just my opinions on what has worked for us.

All images (other than the ones of my gorgeous son!) are found through Amazon searches.

Summer Infant Swaddleme 


These things have been awesome!  Liam is a very restless sleeper and makes tons of movements and noises while he sleeps.  Swaddling him at night helps to keep him "contained" and limits his startling reflex.  These blankets have velcro on them and make swaddling so easy.  Much better than trying to keep him swaddled in a blanket (although we use the Aden+Anais ones for light swaddles during the day).

Fisher-Price Deluxe Newborn Rock 'N Play Sleeper


Liam sleeps in this in our room.  We needed something portable for our trip to Chicago in a couple weeks (more on that in another post) and I had originally registered for a bassinet.  After comparing the two and talking to a few other moms, this came highly recommended.  We originally put him to sleep in the 4Moms MamaRoo Bouncer (which I still love), but when swaddled at night he couldn't be strapped in and was constantly sliding down.  The Rock 'N Play has less of an incline so he won't slide out at night.

Moby Wrap Original Baby Carrier
Please excuse the no make-up, messy hair, and random closet shot!
 
This baby carrier was a little scary at first.  I mean, it's a piece of fabric and I'm supposed to trust it to hold my baby?!  I learned very quickly how awesome this carrier is.  It's super comfortable, easy to use (once you read the directions and do a little practice when baby is calm), and Liam loves sleeping in it.  Sometimes he just needs a little Mama-snuggling to fall asleep and the Moby allows me to get stuff done while "wearing" him.  My only complaint is that Liam can get a little hot in there (I gave birth to the most hot-blooded child on the planet btw).  He is still very wrapped up and cocooned in there so I am hoping once he has a little more head control we will be able to use some of the less restrictive wraps and that will help.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Maximum Strength
There are a million choices for diaper rash cream out there.  On the recommendation of another mama, I bought this one before Liam was born.  It is a miracle worker.  When we were making the transition from breast milk to formula, the poor little guy was pooping like crazy and got a nasty diaper rash.  This stuff cleared it up in no time!

Boppy Changing Pad Liners


These go on top of the changing pad cover and are awesome at keeping the cover clean.  We have a true boy on our hands and have had quite a bit of pee, poop, and spit up flying around our nursery already!  These are a lifesaver and just get thrown in the wash when they get wet or dirty.

Bright Starts Ingenuity Automatic Bouncer

I didn't register for this, but my sister-in-law bought it for us and it has been such a great item to have.  It's perfect for when I am cooking dinner or Max is being a pest and Liam needs some space away from his wet nose.  I can put it right on our island and have Liam right near me while I cook or blog.  It's also great to bring in the bathroom while I shower.

Baby Einstein Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym
This mat is great for tummy time and just hanging out.  Liam loves the lights, colors, and music.  Max loves the whale and thinks it's a chew toy!

Little Remedies Gripe Water

Liam gets the hiccups all the time.  He had them while he was still an inside baby several times a day so I am not surprised this continued when he became an outside baby.  This has been a lifesaver in calming down his tummy and helping to get rid of the hiccups.

Other things that have been super helpful for us:

Side-snap, kimono style shirts.  As I said, our baby is hot all.the.time, so these are great for hanging around the house and also for nighttime sleeping under his swaddle blanket.

Washcloths.  These serve a ton of purposes besides just clean up during bath time.  I use them to prevent being peed on during diaper changes and we used them instead of wipes when little man was suffering from the already discussed diaper rash.

Pampers Swaddlers diapers.  They keep Liam dry (despite the massive amounts of pee and poop he produces!) and don't irritate his bottom.

Avent Soothies pacifiers.  Even though I swore I wouldn't give a paci, they have definitely helped when Liam just needs to suck on something between feedings.

Cloth diapers.  Clearly I am not crazy enough to try to cloth diapering route.  However, these are awesome to use as burp clothes and super absorbent to catch flying pee!

There have been tons of other things we have used, but these have been particularly helpful and useful during this first month.

Okay, I'm off for more snuggles with the little guy.  Look for his one-month update later this week.

1 comment:

  1. He's so gorgeous! I love that pic of him on the changing pad!

    ReplyDelete